Sunday, October 20, 2013

"One By One" MTC Devotional 11 August 1998

Elder Henry B. Eyring

I would like to talk one on one together, and after I have asked you personal questions so that you know that I am personally interested in you and after I have your confidence, our conversation would go something like this:
Do you know that you are called of God, Himself?  He chose you now in this last dispensation. In previous times, His work failed, but it won't fail now.  God does not speak lightly when he said:
D&C 38:33 - And from thence, whosoever I will shall go forth among all nations, and it shall be told them what they shall do: for I have a great work laid up in store, for Israel shall be saved, and I will lead them whithersoever I will, and no power shall stay my hand.
We did not call Him.  He called us to go forth to do:
D&C 39:13 - Thou art called to labor in my vineyard, and to build up my church, and to bring forth Zion, that it may rejoice upon the hills and flourish.
By covenant we have agreed to labor in the vineyard and its twin assignment, to build up His church.  How do we labor and build? It is done one on one, one heart at a time, person by person; conversion is a personal intimate one-individual-at-a-time process. [Alma 26: 29]
3 Nephi 11:14-15 - Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world. And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.
3 Nephi 17:21 - "and He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them."
Success is not in statistics: the Lord himself will accept your work.  But it is more than must "just hard work, give it all you've got."
D&C 18:14 - "Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people."
Don't be comfortable with the number of baptisms common to your mission; those who go to missions where you may baptize great numbers, and those who go to missions who baptize few (or none) - your labor is worthy of his hire.  Just desire in your heart to baptize individuals.
Jacob 5:71-72 - And the Lord of the vineyard said unto them: Go to, and labor in the vineyard, with your might.  For behold, this is the last time that I shall nourish my vineyard; for the end is nigh at hand, and the season speedily cometh; and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit which I shall lay up unto myself against the time which will soon come.  And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them; and they did obey the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard in all things.
Labor with your heart, might mind and strength (D&C 4)
D&C 95:4 - For the preparation wherewith I design to prepare mine apostles to prune my vineyard for the last time, that I may bring to pass my strange act, that I may pour out my Spirit upon all flesh -
His Spirit is pouring out on all people at His own time.  You will never meet a person whose sins haven't been paid for by Jesus Christ.  We cannot, never shall, meet anyone nor judge anyone who we feel won't accept, or can't accept this message.  Christ didn't choose among sinners those whose sins He would pay for; rather He paid for all people's sins.  The Lord bought them with a price [1 Corinthians 6:20; 7:23]. The Savior dared to atone for all mankind.  Don't we cease to labor when it's hard.
See the potential calling from the Lord to everyone you are permitted to see.  Be positive, uplifting in your comments and views about life.  See the good.  Nurture the Good Word and the truth will be confirmed by the Holy Ghost.  That is how He will build His Church.
Here are three promises I give in the Name of the Lord, Jesus Christ whose Representative I am and authorized to give to you:
If you labor with your whole heart, if you show Him you will pass any test (or if you need to change , change something in your habits or your person with all your heart), if you give all you have and take any instruction to improve in any way, then:
(1) your power to serve Him will increase and you will know it. You will know your sacrifice is accepted by the Lord, even if you don't bring anyone to baptism. And
(2) you will know in various ways He was with you.  He didn't just simply send you, but He labored with you. And
(3) You can leave every Church unit you serve in and you will know you made a difference in the area.  Others were affected by your goodness your testimony, by the truth you bore witness of and it was confirmed by the Spirit, and you were a friend.
Respond with faith in every situation and others will e built up and others will be strengthened.  You can confirm their faith and commitment.  I bear witness of this because Jesus is the Christ.  I know Him.  he called you to this work and He gave you His power.  Give all you have to his work, and They will give all They have to you.  To walk away is to quit the greatest call in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment